Fast Facts about Flower City Habitat for Humanity
- Flower City Habitat for Humanity was founded in 1984 by Roger and Barbara Cross as an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, an ecumenical Christian housing ministry.
- We have built or rehabilitated over 200 homes in the City of Rochester and one in the Town of Clarkson, making us one of the largest Habitat affiliates in the northeast United States. We are currently building between 7 - 10 houses per year.
- Each year, 4,000 people volunteer to help build houses under the expert supervision of our professional construction supervisors, who teach unskilled volunteers five days a week.
- Building on vacant lots or rehabilitating abandoned houses, FCHH has placed over $6 million of housing back onto the city and county tax rolls since 1984.
- The $75,000 cost of each house is covered by foundations, individuals, corporations, organizations and congregations.
- Eligible families earn less than 60% of the median income for the greater Rochester area (approximately; $41,200 for a family of four.) Most of the families who qualify for the program earn less than 30% of median income. Habitat is the only organization providing home ownership opportunities for this income group.
- Each family must contribute 450 hours of "sweat equity" (volunteering to build houses) before moving into their home, 250 on other Habitat houses in the neighborhood, and 200 on thier own houe. Homeowners also agree to repay an interest-free 30-year mortgage.
More Than Building Houses
FCHH has become an important construction company -- in the past ten years over 10% of the new homes built in the City of Rochester have been Habitat homes! -- but Habitat is much more than that. We are responsible for:
- land acquisition
- family selection
- residential construction
- mortgage lending, servicing & property closings
- family support & advocacy
- volunteer recruitment, management & nurture
- fundraising & development
- public relations
- business management, accounting & administration
- event planning (house dedications, special events, fundraisers)
- Christian ministry