A Brush with Kindness/Repair Program
A Brush with Kindness/Repair Program is Habitat for Humanity's house-preservation initiative. The program's goal is to serve low-income homeowners who struggle to maintain the exterior of their homes. The work is done by volunteers who use materials purchased through grants and other funding sources. It is part of Habitat for Humanity's broader Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative, and it will enable Flower City Habitat for Humanity to offer a wider variety of construction services using the Habitat model.
A Brush with Kindness/Repair Program enables Flower City Habitat to:
- increase the number of families living in safe, decent, affordable housing
- increase the number of opportunities for our construction volunteers
- keep our sponsors engaged with additional opportunities for smaller projects
- enhance Habitat's broader Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative by developing cooperative relationships within the community
to the following organizations who help to make A Brush with Kindness/Repair Program possible: The City of Rochester, New York State Affordable Housing Corporation (AHC), and The Daisy Marquis Jones Foundation.
What sort of projects apply
A Brush with Kindness/Repair Program projects tend to focus on the exterior of the home, but occasionally we will take projects that involve the interior. Past projects have included:
- building and installing entrance ramps for accessibility
- yardwork, such as leaf removal
- fence repair and painting
- entryway steps and lighting repair
For further information about what projects apply, or to see if your project would apply, please see "How to Apply".
How to Apply
Homeowners may apply to the program by calling Flower City Habitat at (585) 546-1470
PLEASE NOTE that an applicant must:
- be the homeowner and occupy the home
- be current with (cannot owe) city taxes
- be in need of home repair that applies to A Brush with Kindness/Repair Program
- demonstrate financial need
Past A Brush With Kindness Photos