Flower City Habitat for Humanity Homebuyer Program
Through our Homebuyer Program we empower qualified low-income families to become homeowners in Rochester, NY. Working alongside volunteers, Flower City Habitat homeowners put in hundreds of “sweat-equity” hours as they help build their, and other, Habitat homes. Homeowners then purchase their home and pay an affordable mortgage.
The self-empowerment created by this opportunity helps homeowner families eliminate barriers to a better, healthier, more financially stable life. We believe that with a little help, we all have the potential to stand on our own.
For more details, contact us (585) 546-1470 or FamilyServices@RochesterHabitat.org. .
Looking to apply?
Download our pre-application to take the first step in our Homebuyer Program. Then give us a call, or mail/drop-off the pre-application at our office.
How it works
Flower City Habitat for Humanity selects homebuyer partner families based on three foundational principles: the need for adequate shelter, the ability to pay a no-profit mortgage or loan, and a willingness to partner with Habitat. General information about our Homebuyer Program is below.
DEMONSTRATION OF NEED
If your housing situation includes one or more of the following examples you may be eligible for a Habitat for Humanity home.
Substandard: If you have broken plumbing, faulty or unsafe electrical service, poor heating, deteriorating structure, or any other health and safety issue.
Cost Burdened: If your rental payments are 35% or more of your total income.
Overcrowded: If an adult and child, more than two children, or two children of the opposite sex share a bedroom.
Inability to Qualify for a Traditional Mortage: If your family has been denied conventional or government-assisted mortage loans.
ABILITY TO PAY
Required Income: You must have a steady source of income that is between the minimum and maximum income for your family size.
|YEARLY INCOME (2016 Numbers*)
*Note: numbers are based on the HUD Income Guidelines for Monroe County, NY and change yearly
Credit: You must maintain good credit. We will check your credit history by running credit reports. Credit checks will be conducted regularly until the closing on your house. You have the right to request a copy of your credit report.
WILLINGNESS TO PARTNER
Willingness to partner is your family’s commitment to provide consistent, dedicated work to the Flower City Habitat for Humanity program. This isn’t everything that Willingness to Partner includes, but it will give you an idea of our hand-up not a hand-out program.
- You must complete at least 300 hours of sweat equity.
- You must provide proof of income and savings once a month.
- You must save at least $75 each month in a bank account that you manage.
- You must have a down payment and your portion of closing costs. (Approximately $2,300 for most families)
- You must attend financial literacy and other required Homebuyer classes which count towards your sweat-equity hours.
How to apply
- Submit your pre-application
- Answer 5 easy questions to see if you qualify for our Homebuyer Program.
- You can submit this information by:
- Mail or In-Person: Flower City Habitat for Humanity, 755 Culver Road, Rochester, NY 14609
- Phone: 585-546-1470
- Our team will review your pre-application, which can take up to 2 weeks.
- Gather your paperwork
- If your pre-application meets the program guidelines you will becontacted and asked to complete a full application package. Our Family Services Department will call you to help guide you through gathering all of the paperwork needed for your application and will describe the Homebuyer program commitments in detail.
- Full Application review
- Our team will review your full application, which can take up to 30 days.
- Flower City Habitat interviews each applicant or co-applicants to establish willingness to partner and need for a Habitat for Humanity home.
- Committee review & Board Approval
- Your application and documentation will be reviewed by the Family Selection Committee; then presented to the Flower City Habitat CEO, Family Partnership Council, and Board of Directors.
For questions and assitance
Please contact our office and ask for our Homeowner Coordinator at (585) 546-1470. You can also email us at FamilyServices@RochesterHabitat.org. If you are looking to drop off a completed application, our office is at 755 Culver Road in Rochester, NY 14609. Our office hours are Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm.