Because of our wonderful construction team, and the clear impact of our program, building a home with Flower City Habitat for Humanity is one of the most sought after and fulfilling volunteer opportunities in Rochester! We are proud that the word has gotten out, and we are extremely grateful for the thousands of volunteers that build with us each year, but please understand that we have to keep volunteer safety and community impact in mind when we schedule volunteers.
Please read through our current construction opportunities, then follow the steps for the one that best fits you or your group.
INDIVIDUAL & GROUP BUILDING:
- Volunteers build on Tuesday (11:45am-4pm) and Wednesday-Saturday (8:45am-4pm). You must be available for the entire shift. Saturdays are the most requested day, so if you can make it on a weekday, please choose that first.
- We work year-round as long as conditions are safe. For issues of inclement weather, our construction sites will close when the Rochester City School District has also closed.
- Age Restriction: 16-17 year olds can build with us only after submitting a parental permission form. No one under the age of 16 is allowed on our construction sites.
- No skills needed, our construction team are trained professionals who will walk you through your assigned tasks while volunteering. In addition to house construction, our construction volunteers also participate in shed building, landscaping, neighborhood revitalization, and more.
- For the upcoming 12 weeks, individuals and groups can view days that are open to the public and sign themselves up on our VolunteerUp Calendar. Days listed as “Open for Public” are first come, first serve. On each day’s sign-up page there is a detailed summary of the day, including where and when to meet, what to wear, what to expect, cancellation policy, etc.
- Group reservations can be made 4-12 weeks out. Email Volunteering@RochesterHabitat.org for a list of current availability.
Hammer AND saw:
With the Hammer and Saw title comes greater responsibility, dedication, comradery, and greater positive impact for our community. Hammer and Saw volunteers are individuals who are willing to make a regular, ongoing commitment to our mission through one of several roles. We have Hammer and Saw teams that are dedicated to:
- Specific construction tasks. (Cabinet making, electrical, painting, plumbing, siding, etc.)
- Specific days of the week. (Type of work varies, but we’ll train and oversee your work.)
- Crew Leaders. Whether for a specific task or day, we are looking for crew leaders that can lead other volunteers. This role is crucial to increase the number of houses we build each year.
The biggest criteria to become a Hammer and Saw volunteer is the willingness to commit and be counted on. You don’t need to be an expert to start, our construction team and long-time volunteers are willing to train you.
If you are interested in the comradery and positive impact of working regularly with other dedicated volunteers, contact:
Ken H. Braley
Volunteer Services & Digital Marketing Coordinator
office: (585) 546-1470 ext. 312 · cell: (585) 435-7252